Collagen- What is it and why do you need it?
Collagen seems to be the word of the moment in the health world with supplements and bone broth becoming increasingly popular. But what exactly is collagen? And why should we be having it?
Collagen is a protein present in our hair, skin, muscles, bones, joints, nails and our gut (pretty much everywhere in fact!). It provides elasticity, strength and structure to our bodies but is not an infinite source. Our body produces less and less collagen as we get older which can result in wrinkles, dehydrated skin, hair damage, nail breakage and gut permeability.
Our top three favourite benefits of MAINTAINING collagen IN YOUR BODY:
1. Improved appearance of skin- think less wrinkles, more elasticity and a youthful glow!
2. Hair and nails- more growth and less breakage!
3. Cellular repair- scars? Injuries? Look no further!
To give your body a youthful boost from the inside out, here are some easy diet hacks to support you body’s collagen production!
- Bone Broth- this is probably the most talked about superfood at the moment for its high mineral content and for being a rich source of gelatin. Bone broth supports collagen production, supports digestive health and rebuilding the gut (great for those suffering from Leaky Gut Syndrome!) Just be sure that your bone broth is coming from grass fed and finished, organic beef or chicken.
Click HERE for our favourite place to get our daily bone broth fix
- The Beauty Chef ‘Collagen Inner Beauty Boost’- this supplement has an amazing combination of superfoods such as maqui, acai and papaya which are rich in vitamin C (an essential vitamin to boost collagen in the body) and also fight against free radicals which damage collagen. Adding this to your morning smoothie or water is such an easy way to give your skin a boost from the inside!
Find it HERE
- I Quit Sugar Gut Lovin' Gelatin- This 100% pure, ethically sourced gelatin is an amazing way to add collagen to your diet. With an amazing amino profile (contains 18 amino acids!) it is an incredible source of protein and support for gut health too!
- Dark Green Vegetables - add Kale, Spinach or Swiss chard to your diet to give your body a boost in antioxidants and vitamin C - essential nutrients for supporting your body’s collagen production. Kale smoothies aren’t famous for nothing!
- Oily Fish and Nuts - Great sources of essential fatty acids oily fish and nuts nourish the skin from the inside and give your body the best change possible to produce and use collagen