At Depths we love talking about consciously cultivating beauty from without with eco-friendly, toxin free, cruelty free skincare and makeup. But cultivating beauty from within, and making sure we are FEELING our absolute best is where the magic truly lies. The way we nourish ourselves and move our bodies are often things we put a lot of time and energy into - and rightly so!
But what about our mental health? What about when we are doing all the things to help our bodies from the inside out and outside in but we still aren't feeling the way we want to? This is where investing in and allowing time, energy and space to really take care of our minds, souls and hearts is so important, and something we are truly passionate about here at Depths.
WHAT IS STRESS AND ANXIETY?
- "Stress and anxiety are not always bad. In fact, they are important human emotions, which can have a positive impact on our lives by enhancing performance and cognitive functioning..." - Dr. Tim Sharp
- "Normal stress or anxiety becomes abnormal when it begins to impact daily functioning (social, occupational or educational); becomes invasive and pervasive; continues for prolonged periods (such as weeks rather than just a bad day or two); and if it’s accompanied by significant changes in mood or behaviour" - Dr. Tim Sharp
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO SUPPORT YOUR MENTAL HEALTH?
- Breathe - coming back to our breath helps us practice presence, which can stop our thoughts from running into the future - which is often what triggers worry, stress and anxiety. Slowing the breath also sends signals to our bodies that we are not in danger and that we are safe.
- Speak to someone - share how you are feeling with those you trust or seek the support of a professional. Having the space to express ourselves not only helps us work through and make sense of our feelings, it reminds us that we are not alone and that love and support is really only one conversation away.
- Rest - anxiety can deplete our energy, nervous system and adrenals rapidly. Sleep and allowing our bodies to rest, recover and slow down is a powerful way of calming and preventing anxiety and panic attacks.
- Express what you're feeling - journal, cry, scream, whatever way you feel called to express yourself, allow it and feel it.
- Meditate - come back to you, your truth, the present and slow down.
- Affirmations and gratitude - you cannot be anxious and grateful at the same time! Try writing down everything you are grateful for, or repeating affirmations that ring true for you.
- Get outside and move your body in whichever way you feel called to! Fresh air, getting your blood pumping and working off excess energy or adrenaline can really help shift feelings of anxiety.
WHAT DO WE USE HERE AT DEPTHS?
BEGENKI SERENE ESSENTIAL OILS BLEND
This essential oil blend can be inhaled or diffused with an oil burner or diffuser. It uses Palmarosa Oil, Rose Geranium Oil, Patchouli Oil, Neroli Oil and Rose Otto Oil to help:
- Soothe stress and nervous tension
- Quieten anxiety
- Support your central nervous system and adrenals.
BLACK CHICKEN SERENITY NASALETTE
Black Chicken's nasalettes are a great way to get the benefits of pure, remedial, essential oils no matter where you are. Their serenity blend uses essential oils pure to help calm the mind including...
Neroli – this oil was used by the Egyptians to heal the mind and spirit. It acts as a mild, natural sedative to help increase balance and reduce night-time anxiety.
Patchouli – has a soothing effect on the nervous system and works to help relieve the symptoms of anxiety and stress by encouraging the release of serotonin and dopamine.
Lavender – is a widely used remedy for a calming, relaxed effect on the mind. It has been used for anointing and healing for centuries. Its unique properties alleviate anxiety and sleep disturbance and can help relieve the effects of depression.
HAVE YOU EVER FELT LIKE THINGS WERE GETTING TOO MUCH?
You are certainly not alone if you have! Founder of BeGenki (one of our favourite au naturale skincare brands) Sam Sargent is using her voice in the natural beauty space to share her story, knowing too that beauty really does start within.
"Making Peace with the Mirror sprung from my desire to reach out to anyone who is finding life a little challenging, or needing a little helping hand to make happy and healthy changes, or looking for inspiration from someone who did a complete 180 degree turn from definitely not wanting to be here to creating a life of their dreams." - Sam Sargent, BeGenki
Making Peace with the Mirror is Sam's half-day interactive and light-hearted workshop designed to provide you with pragmatic tools and tips to change the things in your life that aren't working for you. We wanted to share this with you all as a resource for anyone looking for mental health support and/or to make the changes you would like to make in your life.
If you are interested details are below:
MAKING PEACE WITH THE MIRROR
Making Peace with the Mirror is for anyone who has challenges with anxiety, thoughts of feeling like it’s all getting to be too much, or simply a desire to improve the clarity of your skin and overall wellbeing.
TIME / DATE / VENUE
9.30am - 12.30pm
Saturday 5th May 2018
Indigo Project, 33 Foster St, Surry Hills, Sydney
To reserve your spot at the workshop, please book before 30th April.
For more information and to book click HERE
* If you or anyone you know is experiencing anxiety or depression and require urgent mental health assistance please contact Lifeline on:
Ph: 13 11 14