STEP BY STEP // HOW TO DO A HERBAL FACIAL STEAM
Herbs are a PERFECT example of skincare from within and without. Not only can herbs do wonders for our health and skin when taking in the form of herbal teas and tinctures, they can also work some serious magic when applied to the skin topically too! Have you ever tried a facial steam? Read on to find out all about them...
WHAT IS A FACIAL STEAM?
A facial steam is when you pop your face over steam from boiling herbs to allow the steam to deeply cleanse the pores while delivering the benefits of the herbs to get your skin really glowing! Read on for our how-to!
- Allows herbs to penetrate deep into the skin for maximum benefit
- Opens and cleans pores to remove congestion
- Support movement of lymph to reduce puffiness
- Soothes irritated skin
- Clears sinuses and nasal passageways
- Hydrates dry skin
- Breathing in the aroma from herbs will also affect the limbic system to help balance emotions
- Liquorice Root
- Great for digestive discomfort
- Supports the liver
- Improves digestion
- Relieves abdominal pain
- Stimulates bile production
- Rich in zinc, selenium, calcium, potassium and Vitamin C
- Promotes sleep
- Relieves digestive stress
- Balances blood sugar
- Reduces inflammation (great for those with acne or psoriasis)
- Lemon Balm
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Improves concentration
- Supports quality sleep
- Soothing for the skin
- Astralagus Root
- Great for the immune system
- Can reduce severity of colds and flu
- Reduces liver toxicity and helps flush the kidneys
- Rich in antioxidants
- Rich in antioxidants and beta-carotene
- Reduces stomach inflammation
- Detoxes the lymphatic system
- Regulates hormones
- Stimulates circulation
- For more check out our full article on Calendula HERE
STEP BY STEP - HOW TO HERBAL FACIAL STEAM
- STEP 1 - Choose your ideal herbal combo for your skin type! Check out the run down above for some amazing herbs for the skin.
- STEP 2 - Cleanse your face and boil 4 cups of water. Once the water is boiled add in herbs and let simmer for 2-3 minutes then transfer to a bowl (you can add in essential oils here too!)
- STEP 3 - Put a large, thick towel over your head like a tent so that all the steam from the bowl is directed toward your face and steam away for up to 10 minutes
- STEP 4 - Splash your face with water, pat dry and apply your favourite au naturale moisturiser or serum which will absorb really well into your now open and clean pores! Voila!
HERBAL STEAMS AND TEA WE'RE LOVING...
Twisted Tonic Tea - Dry and Normal Face Steam
This facial steam uses certified organic Rosehip, Lavender, Elderflower, Rose Petals, Chamomile and Calendula to:
- Boost the skin with antioxidants and Vitamin C
- Promote skin detoxification
- Make you and your skin feel calm and relaxed
Simply place 2 Tbsp into 2L of boiling water, allow to steep for 10mins, create a tent with a towel over your head and steam away for 5-10mins!
Twisted Tonic Tea - Anxitea
This herbal tea uses Passion Flower, Lemonbalm, Withania and Skullcap to calm the nervous system as the perfect support for anyone suffering from stress or anxiety
- Withania has traditionally been used as a restorative tonic to treat stress and encourage relaxation
- Passion Flower increases GABA in the brain to reduce and support stress, anxiety and depression
- Skullcap also reduces nervous tension and anxiety and can help balance mood by releasing endorphins and increasing the antioxidant activity of the liver