At Depths, we believe that growing old is a privilege, we love smile lines and think there is nothing more beautiful than embracing our skin and bodies as we mature. There are ways however, that we can protect our bodies and skin against oxidative stress to slow this process down and ensure we are feeling our absolute best and that our skin is in the best possible condition it can be in given the huge amounts of free radicals we are faced with daily.
Oxidative stress is the inability of the body to counteract free radicals with antioxidant protection. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can interfere with DNA and can cause cell damage. When this happens to our skin cells we notice changes in skin elasticity, texture and vibrance so they key youthful looking skin is keeping these cells healthy and happy.
This is why the word antioxidant is thrown around SO much! But what does it mean? Antioxidants are basically what protect our bodies and skin from oxidative stress caused my free radicals. They protect cells from damage and can even repair damaged cells.
Here are some of the best supports for preventing oxidative stress and boosting the body with antioxidants for youthful, glowing skin!
- Super high in antioxidants
- It has an ORAC value of 300 000 compared to blueberries who have 6000
- They are also antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-fungal
- Great for tooth and gum health too
- Can protect skin cells because of its high antioxidant profile
- Antimicrobial and antibacterial
- Can reduce the appearance of uneven skin tone and skin irritation
- Applying topically may improve the texture and elasticity of the skin
- An adaptogen that can reduce stress in the body which is a key cause of skin cell breakdown
- Antimicrobial and antiviral
- Contains enzymes called Super Oxide Dismutase which protect the body against free radicals and oxidative stress
- Very high in antioxidants so again great for protecting skin cells
- Helps to balance blood sugar levels which can also reduce stress that can cause skin cell damage
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-microbial
- Due to its anti-inflammatory qualities can promote skin health through topical application too!
- For more have a look here
HOW TO GET THESE IN YOUR LIFE?
You can incorporate these age-defying, rich sources of antioxidants into your life in a number of ways. We are big users of essential oils here at Depths so love to topically apply these oils or add them to food. You can also cook with these sources as wholefoods or try using them in your morning smoothie or coffee- Chaga bulletproof anyone?
Here are some products using these amazing antioxidant sources...
Vanessa Megan Darling Natural Perfume
Not only does this perfume smell divine, it is packed with essential oils too- including Clove. If you can’t get Clove into your diet, this is a great way to let Clove essential oil absorb through the skin for antioxidant, free radical protection.
Solutions 4Health Oil of Wild Oregano
Oil of Oregano is a great way to get Oregano into your daily routine. Simply take a few drops daily to boost your antioxidant intake and to also help support any respiratory colds or flu’s too.
Pukka Tea- Three Cinnamon
Herbal tea is a favourite way of getting herbs in here at Depths. This cinnamon tea is certified organic and the perfect winter warmer to boost your system with antioxidants.
Caim & Able Magnesium Spray – Rose and Frankincense
This is a great way to topically apply Frankincense while also getting the calming benefits of magnesium too! For maximum absorption, spray on the soles of the feet and rub in.
DO YOU USE ANY OF THESE ANTIOXIDANT RICH SOURCES DAILY?