WHY SALT IS YOUR SKINS SECRET WEAPON
Salt is an incredibly rich source of minerals and an ingredient that has probably snuck into many of your favourite au naturale skincare products. But why? There a number of different types of salts, each with their own unique benefits which can support skin health in a variety of ways. Here are some of the ways salt can support healthy skin and the best ways to soak up the salty benefits.
What Salts Are We Referring To?
Mineral salts such as Dead Sea salt or Pink Himalayan salts are rich in magnesium and other minerals such as calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, selenium and iodine. Magnesium is a mineral many people are deficient in and it is essential for nervous system health and relaxation. Water molecules are attracted to sodium and chloride meaning these salts can support skin hydration by binding with water and delivering moisture to skin cells.
- Sea salt is naturally anti-inflammatory and antibiotic so great for use on inflamed skin conditions, cuts or blemishes.
- Salt can also promote detoxification in the body by attracting toxins and drawing them out of the skin and from deeper in the body (a reason Epsom salt baths are so highly touted!)
- Exfoliation to promote circulation, skin regeneration and to improve the overall appearance of skin
- Supports hydration of skin cells
- Rich in magnesium to promote relaxation and decrease tension, aches and pains in the body
- Salt can also help to cleanse and deeply clean the skin to balance sebum production and help reduce breakouts
- As a natural disinfectant, salt is often used in au naturale toothpastes as well to kill any bugs in the mouth and as a gentle abrasive to clean teeth
Our Salty Favourites...
Eco Tan Pink Himalayan Salt Scrub
This scrub uses Pink Himalayan Salt to gently buff away dead skin cells while also using Coconut Oil and Macadamia Oil to leave skin moisturised and hydrated.
Caim and Able NOURISH Magnesium Bath Salts – Coconut and Lime
This soak uses Magnesium Chloride and Epsom salts to boost the skin with magnesium while Coconut Oil nourishes the skin and leaves you feeling smooth and moisturised. A great way to get the relaxing benefits of magnesium while giving your whole body a dose of salty goodness!
Weleda Salt Toothpaste
This natural toothpaste has no nasties (of course) and uses Sea Salt to clean teeth and to work against bad bacteria in the mouth. It also uses Ratanhia, Myrrh and Chestnut Bark to promote healthy gums, whiten teeth and to prevent plaque build up.
Lavera Volume and Strength Shampoo
This shampoo uses sea salt to give hair volume and body. It also uses Green Tea to boost the scalp and hair follicle with antioxidants while Vitamin E and Wheat germ hydrate the hair, which will prevent breakage and ensure hair is looking as silky smooth as possible.
Fresca Natural Deodorant – Wild Lavender
The antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties of salt make it perfect for preventing odour causing bacteria under our arms. This deodorant also uses essential oils to leave you feeling fresh!