You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that bacteria builds up on things over time if you don't wash or sterilise them... makeup brushes are no exception!
Cleaning your brushes helps to:
- Remove yukky bacteria out of brush to prevent skin irritation and infection
- Keep your brushes working to their best ability - makeup brushes clogged with oil and product residue WILL NOT do the same flawless job as a clean brush.
- Helps the brush to last longer (healthier brush = healthier bristles + longer life), meaning its also better for the environment .. and your wallet.
Ideally, you should wash your brushes weekly, or as often as possible to prevent bacteria build up. Lets be realistic though - you're probably NOT going to wash them daily..... but you can easily disinfect them daily. Tips and tricks below..
Option 1. SHAMPOO, DISHWASHING LIQUID OR NATURAL BRUSH CLEANER FORMULAS (NATURAL, OF COURSE).
i.e Ecocare, Intelligent Nutrients, Avalon Organics etc.. any natural one will do the job!
Natural shampoo's and dishwashing liquid are ultimately designed to clean and disinfect hair.. removing oily residue.
- Simply wash under hot water with drop of chosen Natural liquid and massage until water runs clear.
- Press brush into a clean towl to remove excess water and sit flat on towel to dry in warm area
Option 2. VINGEGAR, TEA TREE OIL, LAVENDAR
All of these ingredients are fabulous natural house hold cleaning agents, they disinfect, have anti fungal properties and help to break down oil and dirt like no other..... oh, and they're cheap as carrot sticks!
- 1 cup of warm water (in a bowl)
- 6 drops tea tree oil (disinfects, reduces bacteria, is anti-fungal and anti-viral)
- 3 drops lavender oil (soothes, disinfects, reduces bacteria, provides a calming scent)
- A few dashes of vinegar (natural antiseptic and helps to remove oils and dirt)
- Mix all ingredients above into a bowl
- Massage brushes with liquid until all residue removed
- Rinse under warm water and lightly squeeze excess water out into a towl then sit in dry warm area to dry
*Please note, measurements don't need to be exact. You could purely use Vinegar and warm water, or Tea Tree and warm water. Lavendar is optional.
HOT TIP - Make your own spray bottle with above ingredients and spray brushes daily!
OPTION 3. OLIVE OIL & CASTILLE SOAP
Castille soap is a natural liquid made with vegetable ingredients, mainly olive oil. This is similar to option 1, using washing liquids etc.. though you're adding the step of "pre-cleaning and conditioning" with pure olive oil (more important with real hair brushes, not so much synthetic.
- Small bowl of olive oil
- Castille soap & warm water
- Place brush stems into olive oil, lightly massage and press onto a paper towl to remove residue.
- Wash brushes under hot water with a drop of castille soap until water runs clean.
- Press onto towel to remove excess water and allow to dry in warm area
Remember that whatever you are washing your brushes with, ends up on your face too! WASH WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS for your health... and the brushes!
Also, try to use synthetic brushes! See full blog post explaining why here..