Lemon water in the morning is not news and it repeatedly touted by nutritionists and health professionals as the best way to start the day- but why? What is it about lemon that is so great for your body? And what can lemon do for your skin? Read on to find out!
Lemons are a fruit bursting with Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and minerals including potassium, calcium and magnesium. They also contain pectin fibre, which is antibacterial, can support colon health and can help to balance appetite also. They are also full of antioxidants, which are fantastic for protecting your skin against free radical damage.
Benefits of Adding Lemon to Your Diet:
- Boosts the immune system- the high levels of Vitamin C in lemons helps your body to ward off colds and flu
- Detoxifying- it stimulates the production of bile which helps with digestion and to flush out any nasty toxins.
- Anti-inflammatory- as an alkaline food lemons can help reduce any inflammation in the body –including skin inflammation! Hello flawless complexion!
- Boosts collagen production- Vitamin C is essential for the body’s production of collagen so adding lemon to your diet is a fantastic way to help your skin’s appearance through encouraging collagen production which can reduce signs of aging, improve skin elasticity and promote a youthful glow (see our blog on collagen to find out the amazing benefits this will have for your skin!)
- Full of antioxidants and is also anti-bacterial- Basically the perfect way to protect your system from the moment you wake up!
Try waking up to a hot (not boiling) cup of water and lemon juice to boost detoxification! AND if you can get your sweat on after this and for an hour before having breaky this will take detoxification to the next level!