As much as we all (well, most of us) love using organic moisturisers and oils on our face for that extra bit of glow, nourishment really does start from within and NO amount of skincare or makeup will make you radiant like a healthy diet and lifestyle will do!
Incorporating nutrient dense foods and drinks regularly into your diet not only makes you feel better, but truly helps your skin stay radiant and healthy! When we talk foods and drinks that help your skin glow from within, GUT HEALTH is really where it’s at! By adding more foods into the diet that help support the gut – we’re promoting digestion and improving nutrient absorption (meaning we get the maximum benefits of what we eat!) to really get the natural GLOW!
Let’s take a look at some of the top foods and drinks that help your skin glow from within …
1. Fermented foods
Lacto-fermented foods have been used in traditional diets for thousands of years – think of foods like miso, kombucha, kimchi and sauerkraut. These lacto-fermented foods contain lactic acid, which helps increase the nutrient content of foods, as well promoting good gut bacteria and digestive enzymes. Fun fact: the vitamin C increases when cabbage is fermented into sauerkraut!
· Stir 1 teaspoon of organic brown rice miso into a cup of hot water with some chives for an afternoon pick-me-up
· Sip 100mL of kombucha before breakfast to kick start digestion
· Mix kimchi or sauerkraut into brown rice or add to roasted veggies
2. Greens vegetables
Leafy green vegetables are full of trace minerals and vitamins, as well as the green pigment chlorophyll, which has the ability to detox the liver of heavy metals and pollutants. Visit a local farmers market to be inspired by all the amazing organic greens such as kale, spinach and broccoli.
· Make a bulk salad with greens such as cabbage and watercress on a Sunday night to have in the fridge handy for quick work lunches!
· Learn to make awesome dressings to really oomph up your green salads. A combination of miso, tahini, lemon and extra virgin olive oil is amazing (trust me!)
3. Healthy fats
Good fats such as olive oil, avocados and oily fish (such as sustainable mackerel) are full of omega 3 fatty acids – which help your skin stay nourished and moisturised from the inside! Plus, did you know that some vitamins, A, D, E and K, are actually fat-soluble, meaning it is best to consume them with a fat so they are properly absorbed! As a general rule always drizzle your salads with extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil to absorb all those nutrients.
· Halve an avocado and top with kimchi and extra virgin olive oil for a healthy snack
· Buy an organic extra virgin oil infused with lemon or chili to add flavour
4. Organic cold-pressed juices
Juices are a really simple way to increase your vegetable intake, boost energy levels and provide your body with essential vitamins, minerals and digestive enzymes. You don't have to do a 3-day juice "cleanse" to benefit from juicing, but rather try incorporating a beautiful juice into your weekly routine a few times a week.
Orchard St have a beautiful range of organic cold-pressed juices, with qualified naturopaths at their stores around Sydney to offer advice.
· Choose a juice with mostly vegetables (as opposed to fruit) to reduce the sugar content
· Look for juices that are certified organic to avoid pesticides
SUPER FOOD SUPPLEMENTS
In addition to healthy balanced eating - you can also add some AHMAYZING super food supplements that will help you on your way to glowing skin..
FAVE CERTIFIED ORGANIC SUPPLEMENT BRANDS
- Green Powder (Spirulina, Chlorella, Barely Grass, Wheatgrass)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Tumeric, Maca, Lucuma
There's also many more (and a FULL Blog post coming soon on our favourite superfoods!)
Written by Hannah Fong, nutritionist and natural skincare lover