Exfoliating your skin regularly is a fab way remove dead skin cells, stimulate the circulatory system and keep your skin looking and feeling freeeeesh for Summer! There are so many fun ways to exfoliate - from dry body brushing to sugar scrubs, fruit enzymes scrubs and soaking. We've listed 6 of our favourites below - all natural and nourishing, of course!
Please note that, like most things in life, we think scrubbing is most effective in moderation - i.e make sure you don't OVER SCRUB peeps! Over scrubbing can cause tiny lacerations, skin redness and remove healthy natural oils, which can leave our skin feeling dry and itchy. As a rough guideline, we like to lightly exfoliating our faces once every 10days or so and scrub our bods once per week.
1. Make your own!
DIY exfoliators are SUPER simple to make and the best part is they can be made using ingredients from your kitchen. For your body, think granular particles such as organic raw sugar, coconut sugar, himalayan salt or even your leftover ground coffee beans! Just remember to be extra careful over sensitive areas. For your face, finer textured products like almond meal or ground oats work really well.
- Body = mix himalayan salt, melted coconut oil and a few drops of your favourite essential oil. Gently massage on dry skin and rinse off in the shower.
- Face = mix 1 tablespoon of almond meal with 1 tablespoon of natural yoghurt
- Aim to exfoliate your body once a week and exfoliate your face 2-3 times max, depending on your skin type.
2. Dry body brushing
Dry body brushing is an Ayurvedic ritual that is a beautiful way to practice self-care and gently exfoliate and detoxify the skin. Manually massaging the body with a natural bristle brush stimulates circulation and the lymphatic system - especially important when we are feeling tired and sluggish!
- Find a brush with natural bristles, such as this Deluxe Dry Body Brush – and hop into the shower, gently brushing your entire body (not including your face!) in upward sweeping strokes towards the heart. Be especially careful around sensitive areas!
- After showering, follow with a nourishing body oil or moisturiser
- Aim to dry body brush 1-2 times per week, or combine it as part of your morning shower ritual for super glowing skin!
FIND HYDREA DRY BODY BRUSH HERE
3. Physical Scrubs
Physical scrubs, as mentioned above refer to actual particles such as organic sugar, himalayan salt and crushed coffee beans that are used to manually remove dead skin cells and renew the skins surface and texture. They’re best used on dry skin before a shower and rinsed off, leaving your skin oh-so-smooth! Larger granules such as sugar are best to be avoided on the face, as our skin is much more delicate and has a finer texture.
For the face, look for ingredients such as walnut shells, rice powder, almond meal, jojoba beads or bamboo, which deeply cleanse and gently exfoliate the face. Almost good enough to eat!!
- Try this beautiful, finely textured Complexion Polish with organic ingredients such as rice powder and argan shell powder.
- You only need to exfoliate 2-3 times per week max!
FIND BLACK CHICKEN COMPLEXION FACE POLISH HERE
FIND VANESSA MEGAN BODY LOVE SCRUB HERE
4. Enzyme Scrubs
Enzyme scrubs generally use fruit enzymes, which are special proteins that help dissolve dead skin cells. How cool is that?!! Fruit enzymes are renowned for brightening the skins appearance and can be beneficial for those with sensitive skin types. Enzyme scrubs are perfect for exfoliating the delicate skin on your face, while physical scrubs (with larger particles) should be reserved for use on the body.
- Make your own weekly exfoliating fruit enzyme mask by mixing pureed papaya or strawberries with 1 tablespoon of honey. Rinse well after 10-15 minutes
- Try this natural 100% Pure Brightening Scrub
FIND 100% Pure Scrub $34.95 FIND HERE
5. Muslin cloths
Muslin cloths are made of natural cotton and should be used with warm water when removing your cleanser. Simply dip the muslin cloth in warm water, squeeze excess water out - and compress on your face for 5-10 seconds at a time, gently exfoliating each time you massage the cleanser off.
- Look for organic muslin cloths such as these from Black Chicken
- Have a few spare, as it is best to wash after 2-3 uses
- Organic cotton flannels also work well
FIND BLACK CHICKEN MUSLIN FACE CLOTH $12.95 HERE
6. SOAK (then scrub)
Another INCREDIBLE way to get softer, smoother and healthier skin is to soak up all the goodness a bath and some added epsom, magnesium, salt and essential oils can offer! It's the PERFECT pre-scrub prep!
A good soak can soothe and ease muscle pain and relieve stress when dissolved in warm water. Depending on the soak, it can also help relieve skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and dry flakey skin as well as help promote sleep and increase energy levels!
- Make your own with half a cup of Espom Salts or Pink Himalayan salts and a few drops of your favourite essential oils (I love Be Genki organic oils blends) into a warm bath and soak it up baby!
FIND SOAK SOCIETY ROSE WELLNESS SOAK $22.95 HERE
FIND MAGNESIUM SOAK $24.95 HERE
Do you have any scrubbing rituals or favourite DIY's? If so, we would love to hear them in the comments below!