STATS AND FACTS
Switching as many people as possible to natural, organic, toxin-free cosmetics and personal care products is my LIFE. MISSION. I am passionate about making positive change for our health, the health of the environment and for animal welfare. There are so many amazing products out there using incredible ingredients that are great for our health and the environment BUT unfortunately, most mainstream products contain toxic ingredients that are proven to be detrimental to our health. We know there is a LOT of information (much of it contradictory) on the web and we wanted to create a trusted space online with the cold. hard. facts. about the effects of these chemicals, the increased incidence of a number of health conditions that can be linked to absorption of these chemicals, as well as scientific proof supporting the use of our favourite ingredients such as Avocado Oil, Kakadu Plum and Pomegranate.
PARABENS PRESENT IN THE TISSUE OF BREAST CANCER TUMOURS
- According to Darbre (2014) 19 out of 20 women tested positive the presence of parabens in breast tissue.
PARABENS REDUCING SPERM COUNT AND CHANGING PROSTATE
- The latest study by The Technical University of Denmark (2016) tested how parabens effected endocrine function in rats.
contact allergen of the year and group 1 carcinogen
- Formaldehyde listed as a Group 1 carcinogen by the World Health Organisation International Agency for Research on Cancer
- American Contact Dermatitis Society listed Formaldehyde as Contact Allergen of the Year (2015)
FORMALDEHYDE BANNED IN SWEDEN AND JAPAN
- Formaldehyde banned from cosmetic use in Sweden and Japan and is restricted in the EU
JOHNSON AND JOHNSON REFORMULATE BABY PRODUCTS
- Johnson and Johnson reformulated their baby products in 2014, removing the preservatives that release formaldehyde
DIOXIN CARCINOGENIC AND CAUSING REPRODUCTIVE AND DEVELOPMENT ISSUES
- The EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency) states Dioxin is carcinogenic, can cause reproductive and developmental issues and hormone interference
DETRIMENTAL TO IMMUNE, ENDOCRINE, REPRODUCTIVE AND NERVOUS SYSTEMS
- TCDD is the most toxic dioxin with WHO stating immune, endocrine, reproductive and nervous system health is linked to exposure to this dioxin.
CORRELATION BETWEEN PHTHALATES DIABETES AND ASTHMA
- According to studies by Bornehag (2004), Stahlhut (2007), Jaakkola (2008), Kolarik (2008)
phthalate exposure can cause abnormal reproductive development
- A 2005 study by the University of Rochester found that prenatal phthalate exposure can cause abnormal reproductive development of males.
INCREASED PHTHALATE METABOLITES FOUND IN INFANT URINE
- An article by The American Academy of Pediatrics states that where personal care products used on infants contained phthalates, increased phthalate metabolites were found in their urine.
triclosan may cause antibiotic resistance
- The American Medical Association warns triclosan may cause bacterial resistance to antiobiotics (Tan, 2002).
TRICLOSAN CONTAMINATES 75% OF AMERICAN BODIES
- A CDC National Survey found triclosan contaminates 75% of American bodies (Calafat, 2008) with triclosan being found in breast milk, blood and urine (Adolfsson-Erici, 2002; TNO, 2005; Allmyr, 2006a, 2006b; Dayan, 2007; Calafat, 2008).
TRICLOSAN EXPOSURE CAUSING LIVER FIBROSIS
- University of California studies found that long term exposure to triclosan caused liver fibrosis and cancer in laboratory mice.
BENZOPHENONE CAUSED LIVER HYPERTROPHY IN RATS
- Classified by the European Food Safety Authority as a known toxicant following studies where benzophenone caused liver hypertrophy in rats.
DIPHENYL PHOSPHATE found IN URINE
- A Duke University Study and the Environmental Working Group (EWG) conducted a study that found participants who had the polish directly applied to their nails had seven times higher levels of diphenyl phosphate than prior to the experiment.
MAINSTREAM LIPPIES CONTAIN UP TO NINE METALS
- Research by the University of California, Berkeley found mainstream lipsticks can contain up to nine metals meaning if these lipsticks were applied twice daily they would make up 20% of a persons acceptable daily intake.
LINKED TO NEUROLOGICAL PROBLEMS
- Manganese has been linked to neurological problems.
AFFECTS NERVOUS SYSTEM AND CAUSES DISABILITIES IN CHILDREN
- Lead affects the nervous system and can cause learning disabilities in children.
METALS ARE FOUND TO BE KNOWN CARCINOGENS
- Cadmium and chromium are known carcinogens.
PARABENS FOUND IN 18 OF 20 SAMPLES OF TISSUE FROM BREAST TUMOUR BIOPSIES
- Philippa Darbre and her team from the University of Reading conducted a study in 2004 that found parabens in 18 of 20 samples of tissue from breast tumour biopsies.
LEVELS OF PARABENS, TRICLOSAN AND PHTHALATES IN URINE LINKED TO PERSONAL CARE PRODUCT USE
- A study from the Environmental Health Laboratory of the California Department of Public Health tested 100 Latina girls between 14 and 18 years old who stopped using their mainstream personal care products containing phthalates, parabens and triclosan for three days. The urine tests following these three days found 44% lower levels of methyl and propyl paraben, 35% less triclosan and 27% less mono-ethyl phthalates.
ANTIMICROBIAL AND PARABEN EXPOSURE CAN DISRUPT HORMONAL AND ENDOCRINE SYSTEMS OF NEWBORNS
- Rolf Halden from Arizona State University's Biodesign Institute conducted studies that tested urine and umbilical cord plasma from mothers in their third trimester to find that antimicrobial and paraben exposure can disrupt hormonal and endocrine systems of newborns.
DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROTOXICITY LINKED TO POLYCHLORINATED BIPHENYLS
- Polychlorinated biphenyls have been linked to developmental neurotoxicity and attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
perfumes, colognes and body sprays found to contain undisclosed chemicals
- In 2010 the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics commissioned independent tests that were analysed by the EWG to find that chemicals linked to hormone disruption, asthma, wheezing, headaches and dermatitis.
THE FRAGRANCE INDUSTRY IS SELF-REGULATED MEANING CHEMICAL USE IS HIDDEN
- According to the EWG, the International Fragrance Association is self-regulated with exact chemicals and ingredients in fragrances protected by being listed due to being 'trade secret'.
SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE CONSIDERED A CORROSIVE IRRITANT
- A study in Exogenous Dermatology tested SLS on the forearm skin of participants to find irritation was